Ross Kelly, CBS Local Sports
Petco Park, home of the San Diego Padres, has hosted many special events outside of just baseball. Madonna has performed there, American Idol held auditions there, and the Comic-Con International has called the stadium its home since 2010. Now we can add a new event to Petco’s lineup: golf.
Yes, you will be able to play actual golf, not just putt-putt, in Petco Park. The Links at Petco Park will be hosted there on November 6-8 and this nine-hole exhibition will feature a unique theme at each hole:
– The first hole will be a putting green from the home dugout of Petco.
– Holes 2-5 will be hit from various sections of the upper deck of the stadium in which golfers will hit the balls from the stands onto the field.
– Hole six will have golfers tee off from the Western Metal Supply Co. building behind the left field wall.
– Hole seven will be from behind the center field wall.
– Hole eight is another putting green, this time in the visitor’s bullpen.
– The final hole will be from the rooftop of the Western Metal Supply Co. building.
Below is a diagram of the planned course courtesy of the San Diego Padres official website:
Many of the holes will be offering food and beverages and this seems like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I’ve never heard of any other MLB/NFL stadiums hosting golf events but I’m sure there will be teams that copy the idea in the future. The Padres haven’t given their fans much, on the field, in years so it’s nice to see them creating this event for the San Diego locals to enjoy.